• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Surprising answer!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I'm not talking muscle, I'm talking square asses that I've only seen on 1 or 2 breeds - Maine Anjou and Simmental. When you walk behind them you know what I'm talking about. I have one Red Angus catalog on my desk right now from an Alberta breeder, and most of the bulls are 100+ lbs BW. I saw several of their bulls on the road at shows and they aren't built like Angus used to be - muscle or no muscle.

nortexsook said:
>>Close they have been letting 1/2 hereford pass for a long time. Wink<<

I got news for ya. a 15/16th Hereford could pass CAB as long as it was 50% black hided and met the carcass specs.

This is exactly what I was told by the chief grader at the 4500 hd/day plant up here at Brooks when they started up CAB qualifying. He told me a Holstein could qualify CAB as long as the animal had at least a 50% black hide and met the carcass specs. :roll:

Dylan Biggs said:
nortexsook said:

I got news for ya. a 15/16th Hereford could pass CAB as long as it was 50% black hided and met the carcass specs.

This is exactly what I was told by the chief grader at the 4500 hd/day plant up here at Brooks when they started up CAB qualifying. He told me a Holstein could qualify CAB as long as the animal had at least a 50% black hide and met the carcass specs. :roll:

Well then everyone has a chance to get in on the premiums the Angus ASSN has promoted for over 30 years. Like everything it's not perfect but it's alot better than sitting on your hand like most breed associations do.It's kinda funny everyone wants to bash the successful guy no matter his business.

Meeting the carcass specs is the hardest part I figure if you've got cattle that do it you should get a premium.

Denny said:
Dylan Biggs said:
nortexsook said:

Well then everyone has a chance to get in on the premiums the Angus ASSN has promoted for over 30 years. Like everything it's not perfect but it's alot better than sitting on your hand like most breed associations do.It's kinda funny everyone wants to bash the successful guy no matter his business.

Meeting the carcass specs is the hardest part I figure if you've got cattle that do it you should get a premium.

Don't get me wrong I am an Angus breeder,my dads first bull purchase was Angus in 1956 and I purchased my first purebreds in 1987. Your point of veiw is one way to look at it. I just don't understand the certified "Angus" part. You are right it is beef and it is certified. But I don't think the benefit other breeders get justifies using the Angus name. If benevolence is the justification with the hide off why not with the hide on? As long as everyone benefits let's just call it the American "Angus" Association and let every other black breed in on it, virtuous as we are. Oh maybe that's what weve been doing
:wink: :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:
katrina said:
To be cab all you have to have is a angus registred daddy right? So you could breed your angus bull to anything and go
CAB... Correct me if I'm wrong...

If it meets carcass specs I think. :?

Soooooo H, You got a goat..... I've got a registered bull... Suppose we could go CAB??? What's the carcass specs on that goat??? All the bull pimps say my bull is the best since apple pie.... :twisted: :twisted: :p :lol2: :roll: :p :p :D

CAB is a marvelous marketing tool. It is part of our culture and very recognizable by the consumer. Watching Diners, Drive in, and Dives last night, the owner of hamburger joint featured, was proud to serve CAB burgers.

We as producers can argue till the cows come home about CAB's content just because we have some knowledge on the subject. Most people are creatures of habit and buy name brand products. Take Tide soap for example; do any of you all believe, it is that much different than the store brand counterpart? I, highly doubt it.. But people lay down more money for Tide because of marketing and it is a name brand.

CAB has done what our check off dollars have failed to do. Given the consumer something to hang there hat on in a beef product. This cost the cow calf man??

Just my humble observation of the CAB program.

jeff in ca said:
CAB is a marvelous marketing tool. It is part of our culture and very recognizable by the consumer. Watching Diners, Drive in, and Dives last night, the owner of hamburger joint featured, was proud to serve CAB burgers.

We as producers can argue till the cows come home about CAB's content just because we have some knowledge on the subject. Most people are creatures of habit and buy name brand products. Take Tide soap for example; do any of you all believe, it is that much different than the store brand counterpart? I, highly doubt it.. But people lay down more money for Tide because of marketing and it is a name brand.

CAB has done what our check off dollars have failed to do. Given the consumer something to hang there hat on in a beef product. This cost the cow calf man??

Just my humble observation of the CAB program.

I guess you are right as long as marketing is successful
and consumers remain ignorant and cattleman are making money. False advertising is an outdated idealistic notion anyway, it only hampers the business success of good honest hardworking people who are just trying to earn a living.

I don't see it as false advertising. I see it as MARKETING.

Not all restaurants say "we sell CAB steaks", but many do say, "We serve Black Angus beef".
Even the fast food places tout Angus beef. CAB made people
aware of the 'Angus' product and created a demand.

But if the product wasn't good, I don't care how well you market
it, the demand will die down. But just the opposite is happening; I see more and more places advertising
"Black Angus Beef or Angus beef"; so if the demand for it is there, because the product is obviously good, how can that be false advertising?

Nobody says it's REGISTERED Angus beef! It's a marketing campaign that has been wonderfully successful. The average American consumer doesnt know a round steak from a rump roast. They only know if it tastes good, is tender and the price. The Angus Association has built a name brand that folks in citys recognize as a good eating experience. If the steak they buy is actually 1/2 hereford or 1/2 gelbvieh they dont know about it or care to as long as they enjoy the meal. Those people in our industry who do know what CAB is should either reap the benefits or start a marketing plan for there brand of beef. :D

Best marketing tool beef has come up with...I always look for places that advertise CAB to eat at when travelling- as it usually means a pretty consistent cut of meat...
Years ago I used to have to go to Helena a lot- and because of the CAB found a little restaurant/bar that offered 'Prime" grade prime rib and rib steaks- and from then on- it didn't matter where I was staying at in town- I'd drive across town to eat there..

PureCountry said:
Faster horses said:
I see more and more places advertising
"Black Angus Beef or Angus beef"; so if the demand for it is there, because the product is obviously good, how can that be false advertising?

It's "false" because the beef is not necessarily Angus. Period.
:wink: right!

had the worst steak of my life in WEM on Friday night,tooted as angus,just remember not all that advertising's good!!

Ok, I can see your point.

But how do we know it isn't Angus? We don't know where they
buy it. I know our straight angus beef goes to restaurant trade,
because we know the feeder sells into a niche market. So how
can we say it isn't Angus beef, when we don't know where it
was bought? So, if you don't know this, how can you say with
certainty that it is false advertising?

Sorry that you didn't have a good eating experience, greg.
But I don't see many angus in the pictures posted by Candians,
so maybe you don't have good supply up there, like we do
here in the USA. :shock:

OT, what place is that in Helena? You made my mouth water...YUM!

'H, I agree with your post. Thanks.

The latest thing is angus hot dogs. They seem to command quite a premium price. I didn't know the breed effected the flavor in the type of meat they use in most wieners.

People recognize the name Angus. That's why.

When I was on the cruise last Nov. I met many new people from
all over the world. I told them I was a cattle rancher from Montana and raised Black Angus cattle, there was not ONE PERSON who didn't know
what Angus were (or thought they knew); they recognized
the name ANGUS and it identified with something good in
their mind.

Name recognition=successful marketing.

Faster horses said:
So, if you don't know this, how can you say with

At the risk of repeating myself, the WHOLE system, campaign, advertising scheme - all of it, is "FALSE" because there is absolutely no guarantee that you are getting Angus beef.

To illustrate my argument FH let's take my ranch for example. We run 200 head around here that are anything from purebred Galloway, purebred Highland, purebred Angus to a wide variety of crosses. We feed no grain to anything, and all of our fat cattle are finished solely on grass. Thus, our advertising states that our beef is 100% GRASS FINISHED and ALL-NATURAL. No hormones, no antibiotics and no vaccinations.

That's our campaign in a nutshell. AT NO POINT, in our advertising or marketing did it ever cross our minds to call it Certified Galloway Beef, on the premise that it's MOST LIKELY GALLOWAY, since 75% of our herd is purebred or halfblood Galloway.

PureCountry said:
Faster horses said:
So, if you don't know this, how can you say with

At the risk of repeating myself, the WHOLE system, campaign, advertising scheme - all of it, is "FALSE" because there is absolutely no guarantee that you are getting Angus beef.

To illustrate my argument FH let's take my ranch for example. We run 200 head around here that are anything from purebred Galloway, purebred Highland, purebred Angus to a wide variety of crosses. We feed no grain to anything, and all of our fat cattle are finished solely on grass. Thus, our advertising states that our beef is 100% GRASS FINISHED and ALL-NATURAL. No hormones, no antibiotics and no vaccinations.

That's our campaign in a nutshell. AT NO POINT, in our advertising or marketing did it ever cross our minds to call it Certified Galloway Beef, on the premise that it's MOST LIKELY GALLOWAY, since 75% of our herd is purebred or halfblood Galloway.

this is the exact point! it is a great marketing ploy, but it is miss represented.

Latest posts