• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What Happened to Dis?????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I just want to make one point. The Smithsonian was actually the result of guy who never stepped foot on American soil. He must have thought quite a bit about the concept of America because when he died he left all his money to the American gvernment to start the museum to promote learning and history.
The Smithsonian was built and maintained with his huge donation/trust fund.
The Smithsonian is not really something government is resposible for.

Question
Who is your favorite artist?
Mine are Will James and Charlie Russel.

R2 It sounds like they have expanded it beyond the means of the original trust fund foundation.

http://www.si.edu/about/history.htm

In 1826, James Smithson, a British scientist, drew up his last will and testament, naming his nephew as beneficiary. Smithson stipulated that, should the nephew die without heirs (as he would in 1835), the estate should go "to the United States of America, to found at Washington, under the name of the Smithsonian Institution, an establishment for the increase and diffusion of knowledge among men."

The motives behind Smithson's bequest remain mysterious. He never traveled to the United States and seems to have had no correspondence with anyone here. Some have suggested that his bequest was motivated in part by revenge against the rigidities of British society, which had denied Smithson, who was illegitimate, the right to use his father's name. Others have suggested it reflected his interest in the Enlightenment ideals of democracy and universal education.
The Birth of an Institution
Smithson died in 1829, and six years later, President Andrew Jackson announced the bequest to Congress. On July 1, 1836, Congress accepted the legacy bequeathed to the nation and pledged the faith of the United States to the charitable trust. In September 1838, Smithson's legacy, which amounted to more than 100,000 gold sovereigns, was delivered to the mint at Philadelphia. Recoined in U.S. currency, the gift amounted to more than $500,000.

After eight years of sometimes heated debate, an Act of Congress signed by President James K. Polk on Aug. 10, 1846, established the Smithsonian Institution as a trust to be administered by a Board of Regents and a Secretary of the Smithsonian.

reader (the Second) said:
Vermeer of course.
I agree. You just can't get any better than Vermeer. It took you long enough, but we're finally on the same page. :wink:

Steve must be REALLY bored without DIS to argue with

Not really.....her track was limited by her hatred of President bush...

I do somewhat wonder about the demise of HMW, as a "moderate" she made a good liberal.... :lol: But that's what I get for getting to busy to post on a regular basis.....

Kolanuraven:....my point was not that art is "all" crap....but the costly "crap" art detracts from all the good efforts put in by many.....not only in limited funds wasted, but in the endowments tarnished reputation.....

but more so that most art is reserved for the wealthy, ...your shareing your art is commendable, but for most this is not a ability to even view some great masters....(BTW:,.....How did you like the Painting?)

.....yet by supporting hunks of metal, and poles stuck togeather the endowment limits funding to other exhibits,..concerts, and senior pottery classes.....

a chunk of iron cost New Jersey $50,000, a pottery class $50....so in effect 1000 seniors were left wondering the street looking for something to do while an "Artist" sipped wine and laughed his arrogent ass off.....

and the art you and R2 use as examples is often looked down upon by most culture boards that distribute money and grants....yet these same boards will defend spending thousands in legal fees to defend a controversial exhibit....that is the "crap" art that offends me....

The discussion is about art and the value of art in society.

Art does not mean fancy, expensive paintings. Art is teaching kids poetry, having "free" concerts in the park, and all things creative and expressive that should be part of our lives.

" Art" is that goofy looking, wadded up creation that your 4 yr old brings home from " day school" !!! You know that thing that is a " doggie".

It's as ugly as mud, can not be recognized as any known form on the planet...you still " ohhhh" and " ahhhhh" over it. Michaelangelo it ain't!!

But that's art!!! Wanna ' ban' it and thrown it out???

What about school plays, community theatre, free pottery classes @ the local tech school, all things such as that.......... that's all part of art!!!

Wanna ditch the ceramics classes @ the Senior Center also???

Some of you have a definition of art that is WAY WAY too narrow!

Maybe you could show me where my definition was "way way to Narrow"?

....I am not debating weather it is art or not.....I just said art was a sport of the wealthy funded by the poor......and that crap art was crap......I did not attempt to "narrow" my defination........seems as only you two are boxed in by an Art definition.....

moved to Art crap thread so Dis won't think she is getting missed to much... :roll: :lol:

So im starting to think that the basic reason Kolanu and R2 consider themselves Liberal is..
#1 They dont really like GB jr.
This doesnt really make you a liberal
#2 Funding Art
In Canada this doesnt make you a liberal although im pretty sure a Conservative government would not fund it as much as a liberal government would.
#3 Funding Science
I dont know much about it except for in Canada there is a certain amount of junk science. Example the Suzuki Foundation gets lots of funding from taxpayers. The Suzuki foundation turns around and bites the hand that feeds it by telling us that we cant cut any trees down, have to close commercial fishing, have to live up to Kyoto agreements or our the world will end, according to the leader David Suzuki if an Indian kills a moose it is a wonderful , natural thing. But if I do it im rapeing, destroying, exploiting wildlife, etc. etc.
#4 Abortion
Well im not exactly against abortion so does that make me a liberal?
#5 Education
Im extremely pro education. The latest thing that Ralph<Alberta Conservative leader>did up here was that all children now get a $500 educational bank account<ERRSP>. This is a free $500 towards the childs post secondary education. Now if parents want to ad to this account the AB government will match them $ for $. This is all tax free and a good idea if you ashk me.
Im a conservative but im all for government backing educational TV like PBS. Does this mean im Liberal? I dont think so.

Roper.....Bush claims himself to be Conservative....with a big " C"...... I dislike the man sooooooo much....I'll be ANYTHING that is the greatest distance away from that little man!!

So right now it's Liberal!!

kolanuraven said:
Roper.....Bush claims himself to be Conservative....with a big " C"...... I dislike the man sooooooo much....I'll be ANYTHING that is the greatest distance away from that little man!!

This sounds like a pre-meditated hate crime in the making. :wink:

Maybe I should have said Bush, Inc.

Powell might have been the only one I had respect for....but they--Bush, Inc, even threw him under the bus.

kolanuraven said:

Well then I must say this....You must REALLY dislike President Bush to go to the extreme of being a LIBERAL! :shock: Or at least for now? :lol2: Are you one of those people?

You say "ANYTHING that is the greatest distance away from that little man" (typical demo-crat personal attack, I'm proud of you :wink: ), so he must truely be a Conservative since you feel a liberal is the furthest most appropriate thing for now. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My opinion of Bush is this not that it matters. He handeled 9/11 well but he's sucking hind teet on the whole Iraq thing. Just my opinion.

kolanuraven said:

Yeah I can see your point. I know I really dont want to associate myself with so called cowboy conservatives who want to sell their horses to the french to abuse and eat.
What kind of a cowboy hates his horse? The kind that doesnt know anything about horses.

RoperAB said:
kolanuraven said:

Yeah I can see your point. I know I really dont want to associate myself with so called cowboy conservatives who want to sell their horses to the french to abuse and eat.
What kind of a cowboy hates his horse? The kind that doesnt know anything about horses.

You know, RoperAB, at one time I had respect for you. As of the moment, it's pret' near all gone. The more you talk, the more you prove that you are only a wanna-be cowboy, and not the real thing. I am highly disappointed.

Just because your so called friends are doing it doesnt make it right.

If I have to agree with you to be your friend im not truely your friend.

I'm pretty disappointed too. Tell us Roper, how does selling a horse to slaughter plant because he is old, crippled or just plain worthless, any worse than selling a cow or a sheep to the slaughter plant?

That's abuse?

Would you rather see that same horse die of starvation because the owner can't afford to feed him and can't find anyone who will buy him? That constitutes abuse, and we're going to see a lot of it if this bill is made into law.

Maybe you'd like to take in a few of these jug heads, cripples and old-timers and feed them yourself?

Our ranch horses are dear to us and there is no way we are going to allow anyone to hurt them, anymore than we would allow our cows or sheep to be hurt. Killing them humanely at a packing plant is not abuse. Turning horses loose on federal lands to starve to death because you can't afford to keep them and can't afford to have the vet put them down IS abuse.

Latest posts