• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

It warmed up some here. The high yesterday was 22. This morning it was 20 at sunrise. But it is snowing now.

I am dreaming of a green spring
Just like the ones we have when winter is over

A little global warming would be nice. This climate change stuff just isn't working well for me.

We've had thunderstorms with 2 inches of rain then 6 inches of snow, then recently we got 17 inches of snow, all in the month of December, now going to bring New Year in with 40 below wind chills, gotta love Minnesnowta , or not

We had another 2 or 3 inches of snow over night. It is 18 degrees out with no wind. Tomorrow morning we are suppose to be in the negative numbers. Late next week the weather guessers have us getting up above freezing a couple of the days.

It's actually 71 degrees at my house this morning. Supposed to be a cold front coming in this afternoon that will drop us to 21 in the morning, then several days with lows in the 20's this coming week.

Essentially, we have had no winter up until now, and I'll be honest - it's sort of spoiled me. We even have an apple tree trying to bud out and a lot of warm season grasses are trying to grow. Working in a t-shirt every day and running AC in a tractor every day in December is sure strange, but I can think of worse things.

The weather station says -1 and feels like -11. My thermometer says -5 and doesn't have a "feels like" scale and I have no reason to step out and get a first-hand feels like sampling for all of you. My apologies but old age has turned me into a big sissy.

My thermometer isn't digital and it is sort of a guess as to what the needle says. It is between 0 and -10. I am guessing -6 or -7. I was out briefly. I didn't come back in the house looking for my swim suit. Half an hour or so once it gets light out I will go push up hay for the calves. I think an extra layer of clothes is called for this morning.

-20 at 4 am. I had to get up to put a prime rib in the oven. Has warmed up to 5 above, sunshine and no wind. It's a beautiful first day of 2022.
I will check the road conditions and be on my way. I prefer a piece on the rare side. Next time please give H and I a little more notice.

Wish you guys were here. The prime rib turned out delicious and rare to medium rare is how this bunch likes it. It showed 130 degrees on the temperature probe when we rested it. Cousin is quite a meat cooker/slicer and he did the slicing honors. I used Treager Prime Rib rub and Susa Seasoning that is made by prior owners of a supper club in SE Montana. I put the rub on last night (like I was told to do). I took it out of the refrigerator this morning and let it sit, for 4 hours. Then I added the Susa seasoning (base is Kosher salt) and put it in an electric roaster til it got to 130 degrees. Then we let it rest 20 more minutes. It sliced wonderfully. I was nervous because it is not something I cook every day and it was an expensive cut of meat. 10# cost $122. It was $175 retail, but a relative works at the meat place and she got an employee discount. I have heard that Prime Rib Roast now costs $25/lb!! I got a smaller one from Albertsons grocery and it was on sale for $7.97/lb. It will be good, but it would be surprising if it was as good as this one was. 10# was a bit overwhelming for me. We have the ribs left to BBQ by themselves and a good chuck of the roast left to fix later.

Has anyone done the 'put it in oven at 500 degrees for a certain length of time and turn the oven off for so many hours' method? Cousin said if you do that, there isn't much au jus so we elected not to cook it that way.

After the cold morning, -20 it got to 20 above about noon. 40 degree temperature change in a few hours. Crazy.

It is a balmy 11 above here at 4 AM. A couple of days before New Year, I looked at a prime rib roast and it was $28.95 per pound. A couple that appeared to be in their 80s was looking at the prime rib roast and she says to me, "Honey can you read this price to me, it looks like $293." I told her that was the price and the ranchers sure weren't getting their fair share and the meatpackers were robbing us. Stinking thieves she says and her husband said the meatpackers were most likely Democrats, maybe communist. I chose a $14 a pound unprime rib steak and cut it up in small cubes and made enough prime chili for four meals. The flavor sure beat using tough stew meat. Thankfully pinto beans are still affordable so I added them to the chili and now can toot in the new year organic style.

Last edited:
This morning it is around 15 degrees. Yesterday was -7 and they said it was going to be 5 this morning. I am glad the weather guessers were wrong in the right direction.
We had an elk roast that the wife cooked in a cast iron kettle on top of the wood stove for a long time. Turned out nice and tender. A yearling cow is good eating elk. On Friday we made summer sausage out of elk burger and ground pork. We followed the recipe but had a little more than would fit in the casing. Fried up the left over and it was pretty good. I haven't sliced off any summer sausage yet. Just too much food here to get to all of it.

This morning it is around 15 degrees. Yesterday was -7 and they said it was going to be 5 this morning. I am glad the weather guessers were wrong in the right direction.
We had an elk roast that the wife cooked in a cast iron kettle on top of the wood stove for a long time. Turned out nice and tender. A yearling cow is good eating elk. On Friday we made summer sausage out of elk burger and ground pork. We followed the recipe but had a little more than would fit in the casing. Fried up the left over and it was pretty good. I haven't sliced off any summer sausage yet. Just too much food here to get to all of it.
BMR's wife, Tam has some great recipes for elk meat. Bolonga for one.

Latest posts