• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What's the weather like at your place?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We had rain that woke me up at 2:30 so I am just staying up rather than trying to get in another 30 minutes of shut-eye.

I was so excited I went out back, unencumbered by garment, to get a little manna from heaven on my old skin. Imagine my disappointment when I felt nary a drop. Back inside, I grabbed a wooden toothpick and out to the rain pan for a depth test.

Then in my small shop and under the lighted magnifier, I measured the wet part of the toothpick. Thinking of all you Canadian folks and how you must feel about us USA folks always posting in tenths of inches, I use my precision micrometer and measured 1 MM. Some is better than none and the air is fresh. :)

The smell of the cool after-rain air and a fresh cup of coffee, had me feeling hopeful for a great day, but the sound of the life-flight plane taking off and roaring over my place reminded me that someone needs our prayers. 🙏

It is a nice cool day with a high of 80 predicted. The wind has dried out the heavy dew on my lawn so, I best quit playing keyboard ranch comedian for now and go fire up the weedeater for some sculpting and then take the grass down to size with my Kohler-powered Husky.

I bought the largest and most powerful power drive walk behind because on mowing days I can skip my hayfield walk. I was getting lazy on my zero-turn riding mower, so I sold it.

I saw a lot of snake tracks on the dirt hayfield path yesterday, so they must be getting ready for hibernation.

Off to don my heavy-duty work clothes, outback cattle hat, and elbow protection sleeves. Brands and more descriptive details are available by request. :LOL:

A shower going on right now. I don't look for it to last long as I see too much blue sky around. But I would bet Nicky got a good one today. I was headed to the sale in La Grande. From North Powder to La Grande I was on the southern edge of a storm. It was positively black in the direction toward Nicky. 5 hours later i left the sale and it was the same contitions. I was just starting up Ladd and my drivers side wind sheild wiper started coming apart. Too late to turn around and go back to La Grande. And too late to get to a part store in Baker. I got lucky on the freeway. Rain north of the freeway. Then past Baker there was a big one on the south side. Raining so hard I couldn't see the hills up the head of Sutton and Ebell Creeks. Might as well have stayed home. The boys didn't let me play at the sale. They were starting calves above my limit. A 390 pound steer calf costing $840 is above my budget.

We have had only one rain since late June. It is interesting that with this dryness I am seeing the heaviest morning dews I have ever seen here.

I just checked and last year the 5th cutting of alfalfa was Sept 22. We are almost a month past that and it still hasn't been cut. The cool nights have really slowed the growth and so far no frost.

I can't remember any other year that the ditch was still full this late in the fall.

It hit a low of 38 last night and heavy dew this morning. This is leaf-blowing and lawn-mowing day for me.

Very nice here. Wonderful October so far. Could use more moisture. Might snow a bit on Sunday. 75 today, 81 tomorrow 😲, 72 on Friday, 59 on Saturday with some rain possible, then 41 on Sunday with a low of 31/17 mph winds. Then temps move back into the 50's next week. We'll take it and not complain. The trees are glorious with color but starting to drop leaves now.

They shut off the ditch yesterday but the alfalfa still stands. I am guessing at best 1/2 ton an acre. Maybe the cost of swathing and baling cuts profits too low. Maybe discing it in for nitrogen is worth more for next year. I won't even make a wild guess at what they may do. I have been wrong too many times in the past and my old age ego is much too fragile :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Just last week it was 85 in the afternoon. The forecast for today is 50 high and 34 low. The rest of the 10 day forecast has low below freezing. Say good bye to summer. Winter is just about to arrive.

Latest posts